Having seen Hubie’s Fearsome Five back in June, Bass[sic] resident Big Nick D wanted to get in on the top tunes action. In fact he didn’t just want to match Hubie‘s sublime selection, he wanted to go one better! So here it is – Big Nick D’s Summertime Six…
1. Zodiac Cartel – How U Feel? [U&A] – “A big chunky funker that I just can’t get enough of. Despite the letter “U” instead of the word “you”, this tune is almost perfection. The often attempted, but rarely achieved trinity of soul, tech and pure whomp is in full effect here. Future classic?”
2. Justin Martin – Ghettos & Gardens (Claude VonStroke Beverly Hills Coyote Mix) [Dirtybird] – “Two of my all time favourite producers, Martin and Vonstroke. This track just builds and builds and builds and builds and I can’t stop playing it… a permanent resident in my CD wallet.”
3. Pleasurekraft – The Main Ingredient (Richard Dinsdale Remix) [Deepalma] – “I drop a lot of Pleasurekraft when I’m playing out and I’d been playing the original of this for a while, but it’s this Dinsdale remix that excites me most. Low slung techy funk that keeps rolling, but packs a punch when pitched up a little. Sweeeet!”
4. Lee Burridge & Andy Page – Do You Smoke Pot? [Almost Anonymous] – “An oldie but a goodie that I rediscovered recently when moving some vinyl about the flat. Deep rolling tech with what sounds like a Woody Harrelson sample on it. What’s not to like? It’s a lovely record that chugs along for nearly ten minutes. Sadly I can’t find a clip on Soundcloud, but it is included in my DJ mix below.”
5. Drums Of Death – Bang The Dub [Civil Music] – “Enough with the beard stroking, chugging rollers I hear you cry. Okay, how about this bad bwoy? Hard, bouncy and devoid of sexyness, this is a real treble head masher with old skool hats and snares going off all over the place. A proper leftfield banger from DOD. I’m feeling this guy’s stuff big time lately. Bang The Dub is the second waveform in the clip.”
6. Rejectbeats – Watto (Hedstate Remix) [Big Square] – “How could I not include this summertime reworking of Rejectbeats from my own label? Yeah, it’s a cheeky plug, but it’s an ace tune, so deal with it. Hedstate keep an eye on both the head-nodders and the dancefloor for this tasty sunshine groover.”
Big ups Mr Nick! As he mentioned above, Big Nick D‘s got a brand spanking new promo mix doing the rounds at the moment, that’s chock full of the kind of tuna listed above, and you can check it out on Mixcloud RIGHT HERE!
Watch this space for more charts and fun features from our resident DJs and special guests.
The Bass[sic] team
Here’s a new feature on the site dedicated to telling you, our lovely followers, what tunes are currently floating our boats, firing our lasers and filling our collective pants with excitey-goo. Too much info? Ok, maybe we should move on…
To kick off, our loveable resident DJ and pet-kiwi Hubie has given us a list of the five releases that are rocking his CD wallet at the moment. Here they are, in no particular order…
1. Little Roy – Battle For Seattle [Ark] – “I do like a good spot of dub and reggae and, as a true child of the 80s and 90s, I’m also a massive fan of grunge and Nirvana in particular. This album combines the two perfectly with a set of surprisingly excellent Nirvana covers in a rubba-dub-stylee, which never takes itself too seriously.”
2. Kry Wolf & Claude VonStroke – Turbosteppa [Dirtybird] – “This has been around for a while now and no doubt a lot of you will know it well. But at the moment this is the archetypal Tune That Never Leaves My CD Wallet. A guaranteed dancefloor filler with a bassline that makes me want to have its babies.”
3. Phil Kieran – Ghetto Face Place Space [Twin Turbo] – “Another dark, electro-tinged, techy banger, that just screams ‘get your stomp on’! I don’t know where Phil’s been in recent years but if he keeps popping out tunes like this then I will happily buy them on sight.”
4. Tom Rowlands – Nothing But Pleasure [Phantasy] – “Taking a break from writing tunes as part of one of the greatest dance acts of all time, the Chemical Brothers‘ Tom has put out a banging two-track EP on Erol Alkan‘s Phantasy label, the highlight of which, for me, is the epic techno-tastic Nothing But Pleasure. This track builds and builds until you can take no more and, just when you think you’re about to melt into a puddle of anxious techno-goo, it drops causing all who hear it to go full retard in the best possible way. Lovely stuff.”
5. Birdee – We Don’t Fool Around [Moveltraxx] – “This one just oozes summery vibes. And with the sun finally deciding to come out and dance here in the UK, there isn’t a more perfect tune to throw on whilst frolicking outside in your underwear. And as an added bonus, you can grab this tune absolutely gratis via the soundcloud below…”
That’s it from Hubie for now. You can catch him DJing along with the rest of the Bass[sic] residents, as well as some fellas called Evil Nine, Purge and Jung, at Bells Of Shoreditch next week, on Friday 14th June. For more info about this mega party, go HERE!
In the meantime, we intend to continue this feature on a regular basis, as long as we remember to do it (!), with further charts and stuff from our other resident DJs, as well as our guest DJs. Watch this space!
See ya at Bells Of Shoreditch next week!
The Bass[sic] team